Suggestions and Ideas

Do you mean to make a copy of your inventory contents? :slightly_smiling_face:

It would be super useful if inventory items showed what they cost you, including items you make or import.

It would just show the average per-unit cost for each inventory stack (perhaps with mouseover text or on the icon like the unit count). Updating whenever units are added to the stack (or as stacks are transported, at the end of each stage of the journey).

That obviously requires tracking the cost of consumables currently being consumed (including fuel) and converting currencies to the players prefered currency when things are bought using a different currency.

I have some ideas for FRM production.

As it seems, farms in PrUn involve growing crops on land and as with all forms of open landed agriculture in reality, the yield per batch is never constant, even before including seasonal changes.

Therefore, it would be interesting if each planet would have a seasonal modifier that is somewhat hidden to players, and which adds a positive or negative modifier to FRM production. This seasonal modifier can be further detailed to affect the various crops differently.

This results in non-consistent production for FRMs, which in turn will lead to more market movement as prices will spike or drop depending on supply availability at different timings.

2 Likes

Also, just a quick suggestion. Although shipbuilding is quite far off in the roadmap, it would be quite beneficial if players had some ability to acquire ships, be they pre-made and sold on exchanges, or a rudimentary shipbuilding system is developed as a stopgap.

As it stands currently, players are severely limited to only 2 ships which results in gameplay stagnating past a certain number of bases, due to transportation timings. With free to play on the immediate horizon, stagnant gameplay would not be a good idea as user retention would drop.

1 Like

I had the same idea and @martin destroyed it :slight_smile: Here is what he said:

Value does not get created out of thin air. We can’t just come up with a value and put it into accounting. Whatever value we use: If we assign it to the inventory, it has to be “taken” from somewhere else. In your workforce example, that would mean that we have to compute what fraction of one or more workforces’ time a production order required, how well supplied the workforces where in that timeframe (might change while the order runs), what the value of the materials was that the workforces consumed (might also change) etc. and then subtract that value from our expenses (because we have those expenses even if o production is running!). So it would be a huge mess. That’s also the reason why this isn’t done that way in the real world either. You have staff expenses and if you want to assign them to certain products or projects you do so in costing, but not in accounting. Also allows you to decide where to add the costs for production downtimes.

Concerning your other idea:

We already do that. If you buy items at a certain price and add them to an inventory where there is an item of that type the resulting items have the average price.

I want to start with the disclaimer that I am an awful programmer, have never spent much time studying economics and have only ever done game design as a hobby (I’ve never finished a game). Basically I’m probably totally wrong and you can ignore me.

So I understand that the values have to be tracked. Keeping track of consumable costs that are being consumed shouldn’t be much harder(?) than tracking current inventory item costs when inventory changes. When the current pool of consumables change price you calculate the production costs so far for items being produced (since last change). So long as the calculations are done when a change happens, it should be fine (Though I understand if there are technical reasons for this being hard or using too many computer resources). As for other expenses, only take into account expenses directly associated with that item. So factory downtime isn’t counted as it is not directly related to any item you are making.

Also, what do you mean you already do that? If so, then all I’m asking is that it is displayed.

If the objection is that it is hard to do for not enough benefit then I accept that. If the objection is that it can’t be done then I don’t understand why (Perhaps I’m missing something). Perhaps the problem is that because the value wouldn’t take everything into account it would mislead players.

The icon on the left switches between list and grid mode. The item value is displayed in list mode. In this example you can see, that I produced 14 units of OVE myself, so no value attached. The rations are bought from a market place, so they have a value attached.

The objection is not that it cannot be done, it is rather that it wouldn’t make sense from a accounting perspective.

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t know about that :slight_smile:

It’s a shame really because it would be super useful and is hard to do in a spreadsheet without real time updates from the game.

I have an interesting idea for the next iteration of the economy.
Normally a economy in a game is built around the game itself. The main difference being that there is no output or goal here, where normally it would be to feed ships or weapons into the main game. I would suggest that artificial outputs be added, in the form of Market Makes for high tier products that only would exist to consume resources and put money into the system.

For example, Civilian Prefabs, or Patrol Craft. Items that serve no purpose for the economy, and are just consumed by a planetary government or something.

This give players a reason to focus on higher Tiers, as well as more production chains that have a definitive end goal. Instead of players building to supply the current MMs, they could direct their attention to MMs that are purpose built for selling to them. Bonus points for having a variable buy price to spice things up as well.

3 Likes

Hi, sweet little game you’ve got here. This is a random dump of ideas from game chat, they make sense at the moment but may or may not have other undesirable consequences:

1. Exchange orders need to have a minimum amount of time they stay open for after having been placed (1 hour?). This is to prevent an annoying behaviour with another exchange player undercutting you by 0.01 ad infinum until one of you has to go offline. The deposit placed on older orders would prevent spamming 0.01 orders.

2. Placing bids/asks 0.01 less or more than the top bid/ask in illiquid markets where there are few players or it takes a long time for exchange to match buyers/sellers. It makes price movement very slow and the person to break the salami-slicing trend and compromise to make the deal bears the brunt of the value loss on that trade against the gain of the majority who do nothing to make the market (by moving 0.01). Market making should be encouraged imo. The idea is to have a a minimum % increment/decrement on new bid/ask to encourage the price to move and market to be made. What if somebody places 1-unit order? Then, other players always have an option to select the same price and provide more volume at the same price point. Orders would need to be filled in the same quantity for all players sharing a price point.

6 Likes

Especially with the 0.01-prices: if they introduce a price-range, they can also have possible (minimum) incrementals of that base-value. That could even distinguish between players (as planned with the possible price-range) and say have a minimum of 1%, 2%, 5% change to the last price, else you have to match the existing price. Maybe that could even be different for sale and buy-orders: buy-orders have to distinguish by 5%, sell-orders by 1%?

And the minimum time: i agree, maybe just have a timer for deposit (you can withdraw) or have a “fee” if you withdraw within a certain timeframe…

I’d like to second the suggestion above for general sorting/filtering of all tabular data. Especially in the market, I was surprised to not be able to do things like sort by demand or price.

I’d also love to see a way to share screen layouts, maybe via something like Factorio’s “blueprint strings”.

2 Likes

I see some potential in this game in efficiency of productions.

#1. There could be a better scaleability. Larger order should be slighltly more efficient.
#2. Same is for more than one building of the same time when producing the same.
#3. There could be upgrades for buildings with items that already exist (e.g. electronic components)

Of course balancing this is essential. As space is rare, #1 and #2 should allow new players to come into business by setting up broader production as older companies would close them to safe space when expanding in supply chains.

2 Likes

Alright, here’s an idea that I also wanted that old game Neptune’s Pride to do: Let me schedule future actions, as much and as far out in the future as possible, in as many contexts as possible. That way I don’t always have this anxiety about logging in as soon as possible after a countdown so I can start the next action.

Little thing: Put pioneer habitation at the top of the top of the base > construction > infrastructure list. We lose some people at the door because they can’t figure out what to build first.

4 Likes

It kinda is already. Pioneer/Settler habitation is the first building on the list. I know most packages use Pioneers only at beginning, but Fuel Engineer needs Settlers.

Sounds good but… Fuel Engineer package is short LTA and LSE for P/S Barracks. So all the packages have to start with the Pioneer Habitation, waaay down the list.

1 Like

Don’t know if this has been discussed before, but have there been any ideas about waste products produced by companies? In the real world there is a large industry for waste management, and say, for example if your total population were to produce X amount of general waste per member then it would open possibilities for disposal systems. These could be recycling plants to make plastics and metals like AL, or using the incinerators to burn off waste to create C and other basic materials. Obviously more advanced systems could be used requiring settlers and technicians.

Also, a build-up of waste at your company could harm efficiency, as who wants to work next to a pile of trash?

4 Likes

When adding Energy to the game ecological cycles could be a fine enhancement.

Right now we produce Carbon out of Water, light and time. But there could be also Carbondioxid in the atmosphere of planets which is “refilled” by some of the production plants and by energy plants… Waste from production and consumption incl. dirty water could be also a good cycle… and energy or light can also be used to produce pre-chems such as Syngas from solar plants out of gases such as Carbondioxid in the atmosphere.

Basically the idea is that players also create resources of planets.

6 Likes

Not sure if it’s already mentioned, but I would really like a confirmation dialog when deleting screens.
This is (I think) not a frequently used button, so wouldn’t annoy people much, but helps a lot to prevent accidental deletion by mis-clicks.
I’ve managed to do this when checking apex with my mobile, and it wasn’t much fun.