Katoa Governorship Update Thread - Tex Style

Folks,

I really like how Prdgi is promoting transparent stewardship with his Promitor governership thread, and after discussions with my corp mates today, we are going to be attempting to match his transparency.

You elected me governor of Katoa 8 days ago, and so we just received the first full week tax distribution less than an hour before I wrote this. Unfortunately for us, given the timing of the COGC cycles, we also just started our second upkeep cycle, so our net tax vs COGC position is not currently pretty for Yellow Fin:

Given the way the production taxes work in the game, this was expected by us, and we continue to expect that we will have the COGC upkeep fully covered by taxes set to the minimum as we get later into our term.

Upkeep for the next COGC cycle is an ongoing process, with about a third of the upkeep remaining to be contributed for this cycle, but that is ok with 9 days until the deadline. The main outstanding category is DW, and we are trying to fill that slowly such that we don’t further exacerbate the already high priced DW situation on Katoa.

You may from time to time see other members of Yellow Fin post updates in this thread…I am fortunate to have the support of some great tools developers with me in Yellow Fin as we do this.

I welcome any feedback either in this thread, Katoa planet chat, or DM’ed to me in the game. Together we will make Katoa the most successful planet in PrUn!!

3 Likes

Apologies for being a little late on this week’s Katoa treasury report:

Tax collections were, as expected, up significantly last week. They totaled 115.3K CIS across all of Yellow Fin. This is just a hair under the 118K CIS required to cover the COGC upkeep period that ends tonight.

All in all, however, as the graphic above shows, Yellow Fin is still significantly underwater due to the timing of the COGC periods relative to the tax periods. Again, I am not worried about this and expect it to even out in time, but I am trying to be transparent with the numbers.

The next COGC upkeep cycle begins tonight. Again, Yellow Fin will cover it, I ask that no one else donate it. Our members will get the contributions made well before the deadline which will be 10 days away.

As we approach the next election period, we do need to start thinking about how we want to position the planet for Populous. As my data is hopefully showing, taxes at the minimum are good enough to cover COGC upkeep, but nothing more than that. If we want to invest in the Populous planetary projects immediately upon their release WITH TAX MONEY…we need to start having some serious discussions about raising the taxes slightly to start to build that reserve fund. This is what Prdgi has done on Promitor.

I would ask for your input – whether in response here, in Katoa planet chat, or via PM in game as we weigh this challenging question that will influence the future of our planet.

Thanks for reading!!

3 Likes

This weekly financial report will be timely. Again, apologies for last week’s being late.

Tax collections were up slightly week over week, a total of just about 7K CIS higher than the previous week. At this point, I think all the taxes are flowing to Yellow Fin, so this should represent the total collected each week with taxes set to the minimum.

Tax income this week was 122,220 CIS, and that is collected weekly. COGC upkeep for the current period was 117,878 CIS, and that is every 10 days. So, if the population stays stable, Taxes at the minimum will exceed COGC upkeep each 30 days by approximately 130K CIS (4 weeks of taxes - 3 periods of COGC upkeep).

Of course, this could change significantly if we have any population spikes, such as another PC Gamer wave.

As most of you know, election voting for the next governor term is open now. If you like this style of governance and transparency, I would appreciate your vote for another term. If not, well, there are some high quality folks running against me, so my feelings won’t be hurt too badly.

We will need to work together as a planet when Populous arrives to ensure we have a high quality workforce available to keep everyone’s base operating efficiently. I continue to feel this style of governance is the best way to achieve that.

For this current term, Yellow Fin’s COGC upkeep is now completed, but we will get some additional taxes in the remaining 6 days of this term plus some residuals the following week due to how taxes are collected in the game (hopefully Populous will improve the tax collection process). I pledge to you that, regardless of the election results, you will see Yellow Fin members contributing to Populous projects with those excess taxes when Populous is released.

Thanks for reading. As always, welcome any questions or other feedback.

EDIT: Late added observation – The biggest expense in COGC upkeep is DW, which many have probably noticed hanging out near high MM recently. Quite a few people have started to bring in water, I believe mostly from Etherwind, and that price is starting to edge down slightly. If those new suppliers can get DW down into the lower 60s or even better the 50s, that will free up quite a bit of tax money to do more than just COGC.

5 Likes

A little late updating this again this week. If I don’t get to it Sunday night, then work kind of sort of drives when I am able to get this done.

First off, thanks for re-electing me. I really appreciate your trust.

The current round of COGC upkeep still has a few RATs to go, but have no fear, my corp mates will have it taken care of shortly. Thanks to the folks who donated MCG and a few RATs on election day this past weekend for your generous contributions.

Yellow Fin is now up rather significantly collecting taxes at the minimum. This is good, as we will start building up a reserve we can use when Populous drops. It won’t be anything close to the reserve Promitor will have, but it will be something.

Also, there has been a lot of chatter in Katoa chat about the COGC vote in the last 24 hours. I wanted to share my voting logic here, as I posted in Katoa chat earlier.

OK, first off, governor doesn’t get any extra votes for COGC.

But, I have voted Manuf here every week since I believe April. I have stated in chat here multiple times why I think it is right for the planet. And apparently I will do that again.

Each planet with a COGC has a couple of choices that they have to make. The first one is whether they want 10% for a class of workers or if they want 25% for an industrial sector. With the change to the multiplicative efficiency factors, the 25% is a significant win above the 10%. Therefore, I only vote for 25% bonuses with the exception of Etherwind, on which I would happily vote for a 25% if the community there could make up its mind.

The second decision is, if you pick a 25% sector, which sector should it be. And I must admit, for Katoa, I find this really hard.

A lot of people will say “Refining”…because Katoa is the best planet for fuel refining in the entire game. And that’s really the thing…it’s the best planet for fuel refining in the entire game. Whether or not there is a COGC bonus is irrelevant, Katoa is the best planet for fuel refining. And fuel refining is only a single building, not an industry.

Let’s look at the neighboring planets — Umbra is running Chemistry COGC. Proxion has plus fertility. Both Proxion and Gibson have construction advantages because of their local resources.

XK 590d is already running Metallurgy.

Let’s look at the other exchanges — Promitor is a great planet for farming, including running the Agriculture COGC. Montem is a great planet for construction. I don’t know what their COGC does, but they should be doing construction if they aren’t.

That leaves a gap in Manufacturing. And Manufacturing does a ton of stuff important to the game. And Katoa also has some access to things via nearby planets that make Manufacturing attractive here. Most notably the massive supply of PG coming off of Umbra.

Finally…if you don’t do Manufacturing here and think this will hurt you…I don’t think it will. I expect it to draw more traders to Katoa bringing supplies for Manufacturing and taking manufactured goods away. It will encourage players to build out big Manufacturing bases here, which they will need to supply with RATs and DW and FIM and the like. As 777 said, it will drive up demand on the planet for that other stuff.

So, that’s my two cents. I honestly believe it is the best thing for Katoa. Just like I honestly believe Agriculture is the best thing for Proxion even though I do construction there.

Happy to debate that either here or in Katoa chat or in DMs or on Discord. Let me know.

3 Likes

Tonight’s update is a short one…

Second round of tax payments came in during a single COGC cycle. Result is the finances look real pretty right now, but COGC will reset tomorrow and eat up a chunk of this.

But, the general story stays the same…taxes at the minimum cover the COGC with a healthy margin left over.

Or so it does until Populous comes out and gives us more to maintain. The question remains how much maintenance will Populous bring.

Thanks again for your trust, feedback is always welcome!

2 Likes

Greetings!

I skipped last week’s update and no one complained. Hopefully someone noticed, else as Prdgi suggested in his most recent update, I might be writing a note to myself.

So this update has two tax payouts in it plus a partial COGC round. We are still in the process of paying the next round of upkeep for the COGC, which isn’t due until next Sunday. So we have plenty of time.

Core message remains the same – taxes at minimum easily covers COGC dues. Question is what happens to upkeep when Populous arrives, and that remains a gigantic unknown. Fortunately we have some savings across the members of Yellow Fin.

Quick reminder - Voting is open. If you like this style, you can vote for me. If you don’t, Rubicate is an awesome guy and I wouldn’t feel the least bit put aside if he were to win.

One other quick comment – No need for anyone else to contribute to the COGC upkeep. Several generous people have been donating in the last several updates – notice the blank cost to Yellow Fin for MCG in the June 30th and PE in the July 10th dues as examples. We have plenty of tax money to cover this, no need for anyone to do that. Although your government does thank you for your wonderful generosity.

Hope everyone has a great week in Katoa’s cold ammonia rain!

1 Like