Bugs and Improvements

I tried to send my ships to another star system, then I got impatient and canceled the order. Now, I’m not sure if they are coming back or just staying where they are, since the ETA didn’t change and the destination is also still the old one.
Or is this a known bug and I missed/forgot about it?

1 Like

Everything is alright! A faster-than-light jump cannot be stopped, so the ships will continue to the destination.

If you command them to fly to a destination further away than one jump, hitting the abort button will set the destination to the next star system.

2 Likes

Oh, jeez. Just discovered this thread and I’ll be honest with you guys, I’m not going to read all of this to double-check if someone already had the same issue, question or suggestion. :hushed: I’ve been writing mine down into a txt file, here they are:

• I oftentimes get “illegal command” after entering a few letters and then clicking a command suggested to me. Why?
  • What do the differently colored dots on a planet mean?
  • I expect turning the 3D image of a planet by clicking and dragging to be done with LMB, not RMB.
  • Dragging a buffer into a corner of the interface should create a new tile like it does in Unity.
  • Ever considered using tabs within tiles? Could be nice.
  • Dragging a window to a tile should just override the old window there (or create a second tab for it).
  • Having descriptions for items when hovering over their names (e.g. “Storage Module”) would be very helpful.
  • It’s confusing that “Extractor” and “Habitation Module” are both the name for units I can build and the things I need to build those units. It could help to name them “Extractor blueprint” and “Habitation Module blueprint” (or “prefab”) while they’re still in their unbuilt state in a ship’s cargo hold. “You need an Extractor blueprint to build an Extractor” is more understandable than “You need an Extractor to build an Extractor”.
  • Having descriptions of the different structures in the “SECTION CONSTRUCTION” window would both help understand the game and add some flavor. Come to think of it, are there descriptions of buildings or commoditites anywhere?
  • When a command window is open in a tile and I previously entered an unknown command into it, I cannot replace the window by dragging and dropping another one onto it. I need to delete it and get a fresh command window in order for that to work. Pretty sure that’s a bug.
  • I thought I bought a farm in the market place but I still had 0 farms afterwards, which confused me at first. It should be more clear that I’m merely placing an order and waiting for someone else to sell.
  • “Limit” in the trading window should say “ECD limit”. I took it as a maximum of units I was willing to buy if someone was selling them in bulk quantities, so when I wanted to buy 1 farm, I set maximum to 1 as well.
  • I built a second Extractor but I kept seeing only one in my Production Line window. I had placed two Extractor orders and the second one still said “no capacity” while the first one was being processed. However, after an hour or so, both orders were being processed at once.
  • The ability to close buffers in the BFR tab on the bottom by clicking them with the middle mouse button would be handy. I use it to close tabs in Google Chrome all the time.
  • Where can I see the structures I already built in my base? I know about the Construction window, but what about Storage Units, Habitation Modules etc.?
  • Can I bookmark other companies? Befriend users? I would like to, anyway.
  • A “sort by” feature, e.g. for the fleet window, would be nice.
  • “Market” or “trade” should be keywords that suggest the command leading me to the trade window. As of now, inputting them into the command line yields no result.
  • How do I know the commands available in the console? Could you add a “help” or “list” keyword that takes me to an alphabetical command list?
  • Having two tiles switch places by dragging one onto the other would be handy.
  • I would have liked to trade with a player directly at one point. Would be nice it that were possible in the future.
  • Sometimes the activity time on one of my private chats wouldn’t update. It said “20 hours ago” although we had just exchanged messages.
2 Likes

Thanks @Mjeno for the amazing feedback. I’ll give you a detailed answer as soon as I am back in the office

2 Likes

when I receive a private msg, a green bar next to “COM” on the left hand side starts blinking. it only stops when I click it and then select the channel with the new msg, which in turn opens another buffer with the chat. this happens although I have that chat window open (tried it with a “pop-up” buffer as well as with a buffer in a background tile. even sending a msg in the same private chat myself does not stop the notification.

also, I almost missed the notification in the first place. maybe it could be a little bit more prominent.

2 Likes

there is a Notification Feature in the Roadmap
so the current implementation is not final and we will get notification in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@yukawa thanks for mentioning! There are a few usability quirks with the current notifications and as @patteki said, there is a whole feature revolving around notifications which is scheduled for future implementation.

2 Likes

found a small visual bug:
if you scroll to the side in a Screen or buffer the green/yellow/red overlay didn’t stay in place or at least overlaps the hole buffer.

2 Likes

Similar to the bug above, just a minor UI issue. WHen you’ve got your production lines on a small window section and need to scroll sideways, the header gets left behind:
(Works as expected if you scroll while focusing on the headings)

2 Likes

@patteki Thanks! Fixed it, will be in next update
@DrFlizzle Thanks! I created an issue in the tracker for it.

3 Likes

After playing around for the last few days, just a few small things I feel I should mention.

I’m really enjoying the way the different screens and buffers can be used, being able to make the layouts and areas whatever I want is just fantastic. However, when I split a section of a screen into two, and lock two buffers into them, then close one, the split joins back together. I’m torn between wanting the split to stay unless I click to close that again, or appreciating the saving of a click (Minor I know, but just wondering if anyone else feels like it should behave differently)

I’m enjoying the forums, easy to see whats new each visit, posting comments and images is easy, layout is clean and simple.

The two different fuel types of ships was quite confusing at first, just trying to figure out what the two different coloured bars were. Not sure if this is going to be changing, or will just be clearer as that area gets expanded.

Things feel a bit slow in this test (understandable from what I hear about the changes made compared to the last test), but I get the feeling that as the player count grows and time passes, slightly quicker market movements and things would take place, which is very exciting.
Will there be any sort of system or mechanic to limit the amount a player can expand? At the moment the main restriction is resources to build new bases (And build space), but if someone can get to the point of self-sufficiency, will they just be able to send ships out and expand endlessly?
Looking forward to seeing companies grow and balancing out over longer time periods in future tests (And eventual release!)

Reading through the roadmap and planned features, I know theres a lot coming so I don’t have much more to say about what would be nice to have, because almost everything I can think of is touched on there.
Would just like to say fantastic work on whats been produced so far, its awesome to see the care thats gone into everything.

1 Like

@Mjeno I hope I can address some of the issues below:

I oftentimes get “illegal command” after entering a few letters and then clicking a command suggested to me. Why?

If you enter CX for example you’ll see the above list. While there are commands that don’t need any parameters (like CXL) there are other that need a parameter to be valid. CXOB for example shows the order book of a given material at a given commodity exchange, so it needs a valid ticker. CXOB STL.EC1 would be the order book for steel at Cibola. We want the command interface to be a bit smarter in the future, but it’s not a feature that is planned for the near future

What do the differently colored dots on a planet mean?

Pink is the commodity exchange, the yellow one your own base, blue are other players’ bases

I expect turning the 3D image of a planet by clicking and dragging to be done with LMB, not RMB.

The behavior is the same as in the 3d universe and system map. Would be confusing to have different behavior on different maps.

Dragging a buffer into a corner of the interface should create a new tile like it does in Unity.

Interesting idea. I have never used Unity, but will look at it

Ever considered using tabs within tiles? Could be nice.

Yep, but we try to avoid it since it is another method of arranging information. If something is displayed in separate tabs it usually is better to split into multiple tiles, to fit our UI design

Dragging a window to a tile should just override the old window there (or create a second tab for it).

Added to the bug tracker.

Having descriptions for items when hovering over their names (e.g. “Storage Module”) would be very helpful.

As far as I know each icon should display its name on hover. Where do you miss it?

It’s confusing that “Extractor” and “Habitation Module” are both the name for units I can build and the things I need to build those units. It could help to name them “Extractor blueprint” and “Habitation Module blueprint” (or “prefab”) while they’re still in their unbuilt state in a ship’s cargo hold. “You need an Extractor blueprint to build an Extractor” is more understandable than “You need an Extractor to build an Extractor”.

Yep, we’ll change the naming in the next content update

Having descriptions of the different structures in the “SECTION CONSTRUCTION” window would both help understand the game and add some flavor. Come to think of it, are there descriptions of buildings or commoditites anywhere?

Section creation/removal will be revamped soon. Descriptions for all materials and buildings are designated but not written yet.

When a command window is open in a tile and I previously entered an unknown command into it, I cannot replace the window by dragging and dropping another one onto it. I need to delete it and get a fresh command window in order for that to work. Pretty sure that’s a bug.

Yep, added to the bug tracker

I thought I bought a farm in the market place but I still had 0 farms afterwards, which confused me at first. It should be more clear that I’m merely placing an order and waiting for someone else to sell.

I replaced the generic “CMD” label with “Place order” to clarify. Will be available with the next update. Thanks.

“Limit” in the trading window should say “ECD limit”. I took it as a maximum of units I was willing to buy if someone was selling them in bulk quantities, so when I wanted to buy 1 farm, I set maximum to 1 as well.

Not sure about this. The maximum amount of items you buy is specified in the “Amount” field. To check how costly the order will be there is the “Volume” (including currency) field right above the command buttons.

I built a second Extractor but I kept seeing only one in my Production Line window. I had placed two Extractor orders and the second one still said “no capacity” while the first one was being processed. However, after an hour or so, both orders were being processed at once.

That seems a bit strange, but I couldn’t reproduce so far. Will keep an eye on it!

The ability to close buffers in the BFR tab on the bottom by clicking them with the middle mouse button would be handy. I use it to close tabs in Google Chrome all the time.

Added it as improvement to the bug tracker

Where can I see the structures I already built in my base? I know about the Construction window, but what about Storage Units, Habitation Modules etc.?

As mentioned before, this is on my current todo list

Can I bookmark other companies? Befriend users? I would like to, anyway.

Not yet.

A “sort by” feature, e.g. for the fleet window, would be nice.

Yep, tables lack sorting options in general so far. Added to the list of improvements!

“Market” or “trade” should be keywords that suggest the command leading me to the trade window. As of now, inputting them into the command line yields no result.

Commodity exchange or exchange is the right term here and leads to results. But we could add a list of hidden keywords like the ones you mentioned that will also lead to the whole CX* commands. Will have to discuss that with @martin

How do I know the commands available in the console? Could you add a “help” or “list” keyword that takes me to an alphabetical command list?

Sounds good to me, will discuss it with @martin

Having two tiles switch places by dragging one onto the other would be handy.

How would you distinguish that action from replacing a tile as you have described above?

I would have liked to trade with a player directly at one point. Would be nice it that were possible in the future.

Will be available in the future

Sometimes the activity time on one of my private chats wouldn’t update. It said “20 hours ago” although we had just exchanged messages.

I’ll try to reproduce!

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @DrFlizzle!

I’m really enjoying the way the different screens and buffers can be used, being able to make the layouts and areas whatever I want is just fantastic. However, when I split a section of a screen into two, and lock two buffers into them, then close one, the split joins back together. I’m torn between wanting the split to stay unless I click to close that again, or appreciating the saving of a click (Minor I know, but just wondering if anyone else feels like it should behave differently)

Have you tried the “:” icon when hovering the cog wheel of a tile? It will just remove the content of the tile.

I’m enjoying the forums, easy to see whats new each visit, posting comments and images is easy, layout is clean and simple.

Thanks, I agree. The discourse software is really nice and feels so much fresher than older discussion boards available on the web.

The two different fuel types of ships was quite confusing at first, just trying to figure out what the two different coloured bars were. Not sure if this is going to be changing, or will just be clearer as that area gets expanded.

Space flight will be the topic of one of the next tests. While its current state is ‘working’, there still needs to be done quite a lot of detailing.

Things feel a bit slow in this test (understandable from what I hear about the changes made compared to the last test), but I get the feeling that as the player count grows and time passes, slightly quicker market movements and things would take place, which is very exciting.
Will there be any sort of system or mechanic to limit the amount a player can expand? At the moment the main restriction is resources to build new bases (And build space), but if someone can get to the point of self-sufficiency, will they just be able to send ships out and expand endlessly?
Looking forward to seeing companies grow and balancing out over longer time periods in future tests (And eventual release!)

There are a few mechanisms to prevent endless growth of players, not all of them implemented yet. Just to mention a few:

• Bases are limited in the area they provide, so no endless building of mines for example
  • Planets are limited in the amount of bases that can be build
  • Bases will require additional upkeep in the future (like energy cost, air consumption, etc)
  • Buildings will age over time and loose efficiency
  • There might be taxes, charges and fees for various actions like production, trading, flying etc. depending on who owns a planet. This might make some areas undesirable for certain players
  • We try very hard to limit exponential growth where possible
  • At one point it might get too hard for a single player to micro-manage her bases

Growth is really an interesting topic and @martin and I bring it up a lot in our discussions.

Reading through the roadmap and planned features, I know theres a lot coming so I don’t have much more to say about what would be nice to have, because almost everything I can think of is touched on there.
Would just like to say fantastic work on whats been produced so far, its awesome to see the care thats gone into everything.

Thanks :slight_smile: We are looking forward to release the game into an early access version as soon as possible, but most of the really interesting features will be implemented after that point.

2 Likes

some things I noticed in my first 24 hours:

• I would like it if you could zoom out further on the system map to actually display the entire system from a top down perspective

• I would prefer if the commands REA and MAT would either open the information in a new buffer or show the results together with a command line for other tickers. right now, I need to clear the currently used tile to get infos on something else and I can not compare two or more easily

• when clicking the user list in the public chat window, I was expecting to see a list of the currently connected users, not of all users. maybe, this link could be switched with the one in the lower right corner of the UI?

• are there any benefits planned for producing in larger quanitities? right now, working twice as long yields twice the product. maybe, higher volume could lead to higher efficency

• I might be blind, but I couldn’t find an option to “delete” a chat from the COM buffer. might not be necessary, however, it would be great, if - in the future with way more conversations going on - it were possible to sort conversations into groups or add tags to allow sorting later on. I imagine having 8 suplliers, 12 regular customers and some off-the-shelf-shoppers I talk to, I will have a hard time organizing that.
    since “friends lists” etc have not been implemented yet, that might be solved that way, anyhow

• from my first experience, I am more likely to want to clear a tile rather than close it (and have the remaining tiles expand). not totally sure on that one, but I think, I’d prefer if the buttons for closing a tile and clearing it would be swapped.

• the base overview is not scrollable when the window it is in is smaller than the information being displayed

• is the queue for production a fixed length or does it depend on the number of reactors installed? (not sure what I prefer here. could argue either way)

1 Like

Thanks for all your answers, @molp! I didn’t expect you to get back to me about all this, thought I’d post it into the “feeback void” to see if some of it makes it into future versions. :wink: Just so you understand my intention behind asking these questions: I didn’t necessarily want direct answers to them (although it’s really great having them, thanks :smiley: ), but wanted to point out which questions arose for me - and, thus, potentially other players - that the game itself could do a better job answering. :slight_smile:

As far as I know each icon should display its name on hover. Where do you miss it?

Yes, it shows the name, but I thought some short description might be handy as well. E.g. “Farm - Uses water to produce agricultural products”. That way, new players don’t have to click every item in the Commodity Exchange window individually to get an overview over their uses.

How would you distinguish that action from replacing a tile as you have described above?

Sorry, I was unclear in my first remark regarding this: I meant dragging a BUFFER to a tile should override the content of the tile. Dragging one tile onto another should make them switch places. Of course, that in itself might be confusing, but I think that dragging and dropping windows should definitely be used more.

2 Likes

I second that
and to add, I’d like if you could detach a buffer from a tile, as well, to have it “float” above the UI again.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @yukawa!

I would like it if you could zoom out further on the system map to actually display the entire system from a top down perspective

We haven’t touched the universe an star maps in a long time and therefore they aren’t very user friendly at all at the moment. One of the next tests will be about space flight and we will update the maps and the flight model for that.

I would prefer if the commands REA and MAT would either open the information in a new buffer or show the results together with a command line for other tickers. right now, I need to clear the currently used tile to get infos on something else and I can not compare two or more easily

I am not sure if I understand you correctly. If I open a buffer with MAT FEO for example, I can click on SME and FE and new buffers will open and I can compare the contents. What’s currently missing is a link from a reactor material (e.g. MAT SME) to the corresponding reactor tile (e.g. REA SME)

when clicking the user list in the public chat window, I was expecting to see a list of the currently connected users, not of all users. maybe, this link could be switched with the one in the lower right corner of the UI?

The user list is a general component that should display who has joined a certain channel, whether currently online or not. Since everyone is auto-joined global on start it is nearly the same as the connection list. But I see the point, if the list gets longer it is really hard to see who’s online. Should I divide the list into two sections? Users currently online on top and a list of joined, but offline users at bottom?

are there any benefits planned for producing in larger quanitities? right now, working twice as long yields twice the product. maybe, higher volume could lead to higher efficency

Yes, that is definitely something we want to have in the future. We want to have certain buildings that push efficiency for others and even special materials (think fertilizers) to enhance output/efficiency.

I might be blind, but I couldn’t find an option to “delete” a chat from the COM buffer. might not be necessary, however, it would be great, if - in the future with way more conversations going on - it were possible to sort conversations into groups or add tags to allow sorting later on. I imagine having 8 suplliers, 12 regular customers and some off-the-shelf-shoppers I talk to, I will have a hard time organizing that.
since “friends lists” etc have not been implemented yet, that might be solved that way, anyhow

Currently there is no way to change a message once it has been sent and players cannot be put into lists yet. This will change in the future. I am sorry if I tend to repeat myself here, but we are only two developers and we try to make features work with minimal effort to be able to evaluate if they work. If we are happy with a feature we will enhance it over time. This is the case with the chat system and player / company / coorporation management.

from my first experience, I am more likely to want to clear a tile rather than close it (and have the remaining tiles expand). not totally sure on that one, but I think, I’d prefer if the buttons for closing a tile and clearing it would be swapped.

That’s a cool idea! Haven’t thought about it yet. In the long run we want to get rid of the hover menu, since it doesn’t play well with tablets for example. Up to now we didn’t come up with a clever solution.

the base overview is not scrollable when the window it is in is smaller than the information being displayed

Yep, I changed that, will be available on next update

is the queue for production a fixed length or does it depend on the number of reactors installed? (not sure what I prefer here. could argue either way)

The queue is fixed to 5 right now (if I remember correctly), but we want to change that to a smaller number later and add the support buildings that can be build to increase its length

3 Likes

to clearify: when I want to research my next moves, I might want to look into different production chains. so for instance, I’d like to see if a PP, BIO or a CHP would be a good next choice. I will have to manually open three buffers to do so. I would like it, if I could have a command line and type in REA PP, then have that open in a new buffer instead of the one with the CMD line. I could then use the same CMD line to also bring up a buffer for CHP.
alternatively, the buffer containing the info about the first REA could contain a field for me to simply type in the ticker for any other REA to have that open.

and now, that I think about it, what - overall - would be better, in my opinion, is a CMD line somewhere at the edge of the UI that is not part of any tile but always opens a new buffer when used. (when speaking of buffer, I am referring to a pop-up window. if you have different terminology, please let me know)

on another topic, I keep hitting the buttons at the edge of the screen for a second time, expecting it will close the buffer it just opened. instead, the same buffer pops up again. maybe that just feels unfamiliar to me, though.

last but not least, on the right hand side under the “cash balance” and “pending contracts” area, I feel like there could be another tile. of course, this space might be filled up with contracts later on, but right now, I keep placing the “who is online” list there, for instance. this area could also be used for the CMD line not associated with a buffer or tile in inself that I mentioned earlier.

obviously, all just impressions. not sure, any of that would actually work out the way I picture it in my mind. :wink:
but that’s what you get for introducing such an awesomely flexible UI in the first place - so actually that is your fault :smiley:

edit: quotes… third time is the charm…

2 Likes

Ok, I am pretty sure I know now what you are trying to do :slight_smile: As an alternative to a fixed command line somewhere in the UI, would you consider a shortcut (CTRL+ENTER for example) that will open an empty buffer ready to enter a command?

Haven’t thought about that yet…

I usually have the sidebar closed, but you are right, there is a lot of empty screen space that could be used for something else. @martin and I have discussed if we would allow to place a tile there, but decided against it, but maybe we have to reconsider.

1 Like

I expect turning the 3D image of a planet by clicking and dragging to be done with LMB, not RMB.

The behavior is the same as in the 3d universe and system map. Would be confusing to have different behavior on different maps.[/quote]
Actually works the way I would expect it myself…though I have seen (in other programs) LMB do it, it seems a bit more rare.

1 Like