Release Notes - 2021.3

to be fair we dont know what is past level 5 of upgrade, so there can always be a surprise :wink:

Whats “CC” ?
20 characters even thou i have a quote… -_-

he thinks he can sell electronics to MM like we did last uni

Unfortunatly for him, POPI is a thing

Ahhh the Climate Control.
Yeah no, Electronics are not worth selling to MM with their prices. :joy:

Actually, long term this logic is detrimental, eventually the oversupply turns into an undersupply, especially as bases get bigger.

He doesn’t nessecarilly think that, he is just pointing out that the Antares “benefit” is worthless.

No, I think the exact opposite. By the time we get to climate controllers we already have built the entire supply chain from B fabs to A fabs, high end POPI without relying on high end MMs at all. So in essence the 300k MM adds nothing to the game until it doesn’t matter anymore. The contradiction lies in the fact that low end industries are needed to pay for unprofitable high end industries but at the same time those low end industries are becoming less viable.

So my idea was to make high end industries like electronics useful to players by using them for buildings or HQ upgrades. When there is healthy demand for high end products we can just tell everyone to make those if low end production is unprofitable. As the game stands right now the demand for low end production is going down while high end demand is dependent on the low end production so it also goes down.

Demand for low end products is going up as people expand. Supply is also increasing with it, sometimes faster than demand, but the market for DW and RAT isn’t disappearing any time soon.

If there is one thing that we should have learnt from the real world that we see reflected in this game it is that “classical economics” is a load of nonsense.

People do NOT react logically, the market does NOT know best, it is NOT self correcting, short term gain always wins over long term best interests.

2 Likes

Well, that is just the logical consequence of conventional currencies having a positive time preference (i.e. it is going up in value over time) built into them. If you were to build a currency with negative time preference (going down over time) then long term interests would dominate short term interests.

Of course we get an approximation of the latter in the form of inflation whose downside is that it’s impact is never evenly distributed and we are forever dependent on governments to conduct fiscal stimulus.

If one were to apply a cost to holding onto money called demurrage then you wouldn’t need inflation and the threat of deflation wouldn’t even exist.

This isn’t even a new system. Ancient Egypt had grain banks where the “money” lost its value as the grain perished. You know, the civilization that built the pyramids. Funnily enough a similar system was used to build cathedrals in Europe.

https://linas.org/mirrors/www.transaction.net/2001.04.05/money/cc/cc04.html

Considering how many MMOs suffer from hyperinflation I am honestly surprised that none of them implemented demurrage. Devs and players keep talking about gold sinks and sources or crazy cryptocurrency ideas where ingame money has IRL value. Devs don’t even think about just dumping the money into a black hole if there is too much of it around. If everyone loses an equal amount of money then relative wealth among players doesn’t change, the only thing that changes is the value of the currency. At 0% inflation you let the demurrage revenue circulate in the economy again. There is now an urgency to spend your money and play the game which boosts the economy.

There are various political and technical reasons why demurrage is unpopular in the real world. It’s impossible to put negative interest on cash and banning cash is a bad idea. We also had population growth for centuries so the assumption of endless economic growth kind of made sense. I mean, if there are 2% more mouths to feed this year how do you feed them without 2% growth? Of course once you run out of population growth things aren’t so easy anymore.

1 Like